'Create

Monday, November 23, 2009

Halloween II (2009) Movie Review

Halloween II (2009)



Director: Rob Zombie
Writer: Rob Zombie

Starring: Sheri Moon Zombie, Scout Taylor-Compton, Malcolm McDowell, Tyler Mane



The horror genre which is the movie genre that I am personally the most fond of. Ever since I was about ten years old I have had a love for horror films, so just as a word of warning to my readers I am a slight bit bias when it comes to my reviews of horror movies.

Rob Zombie who became really well known in the world of hard rock and heavy metal music has within the past few years cemented his name as a writer and director. Zombie has had much success with previous titles such as House of 1,000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, and Halloween (2007). Zombie is a master of his craft and it is quite apparent that he has a tremendous amount of love and respect for the horror movie genre itself.

It was only a couple of years ago that Rob Zombie was to release a remake or re visioning of the John Carpenter classic Halloween (1978). The movie much to my surprise and to the surprise of others was actually quite a unique take on the series, and with all due respect to the original John Carpenter movie I would have to say Rob Zombie did a fantastic job with a re visioning of a movie that did not need to be looked at again.

All that being said we come to 2009 and the release of the follow up to Rob Zombie's Halloween. This time around though Zombie did not have any guidelines to keep true to as he was told to steer away from the original Halloween II (1981). Zombie had the freedom here to make his own style of movie, and the question was could he deliver the goods?

The answer in my mind is that Zombie delivered quite a bit of the goods but seemed as though he was a little bit rushed. I think the story itself and the drive of the returning characters was very creative. Taking a new spin on how Michael Myers looks, acts, and even in his ways of killing people was well done. There are two problems I did have with the movie though, the first problem I had was that Rob Zombie tried to create a sub story involving Micheal's mother (Sheri Moon Zombie) which I felt was entirely unnecessary. The second problem I had with the movie is the same problem I have with just about every movie that Rob Zombie seems to put out, and that is that Rob focuses way too much time and love for the villain and not enough getting to know the main character of the movie. Rob Zombie's version of Laurie Strode does not leave you caring too very much about her or what happens to her. I find myself in all of Zombie's movies only concerned and drawn to the villains.

Those two little issue aside I have to give credit where it is due and that is when Rob Zombie delivers a horror movie he delivers one hell of a horror show. Rob Zombie has quickly become one of my favorite new directors in the genre and I hope to see many more incredible movies from him, hopefully of the original nature. Halloween II is well worth a watch for fans of the genre, or for anybody who is looking for a good horror movie to watch.

My Rating: 78%

No comments: