'Create

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife Movie Review

The Time Traveler's Wife



Director: Robert Schwentke
Writer(s): Bruce Joel Rubin (screenplay)
Audrey Niffenegger (novel)

Starring: Eric Bana, Rachel McAdams



Henry (Bana) is a time travelor, and Clare (McAdams) is the woman he befriends along his time travels. Henry speaks to a young Clare and tells her that in the future they are friends. Henry lets Clare in on the secrets of his time traveling and the heartships that come along with it.

This movie is based on the book of the same name by Audrey Niffenegger. I have never read the book but I have been informed that it is quite an amazing read. That all aside let me get right in to talking about the movie itself. When i saw the preview for this particular movie I will admit that I really had zero interest in seeing it at all. As a movie lover though I do manage to see lots of movies and this one turned out to be no exception. My girlfriend really wanted to see this movie and I willing went along to see it with her.

I do not know why it is but I walked out of this movie a lot more satisfied then what I had expected. It might have been my generally low expectation for the movie itself that contributed to this above average satisfaction, or maybe the movie simply did enough to draw me in.

The Time Traveler's Wife is not a that everyone out there is going to enjoy, in fact I am pretty certain that the average person that was satisfied with movies like "Transformers 2" or "GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra" over the summer is likely to shrug this movie off. I will not defend this movie either and say that it was absolutely perfect. The movie encounters its own set of flaws and questions raised in regards to the time traveling capabilities of Henry. It is easy to judge this movie for the flaws that it does have, but I appreciated the direction the movie went in and the acting that was delivered by both Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana.

What we get out of this movie is an interesting spin on the romance genre and something that dares to be a slight bit different from the average romantic movie that tends to flood theater screens these days. I have to personally applaud this movie for it's ability to give us something more then the norm.

The Time Traveler's Wife is not a rush out and see movie necessarily, but it is however one that I will give my personal recommendation to. If anyone out there is wanting to watch a movie with a good heart behind it, then pop the popcorn, grab your nice warm snuggie, and sit down to enjoy The Time Traveler's Wife.

My Rating: 65%

No comments: