'Create

Monday, November 23, 2009

Julie & Julia Movie Review

Julie & Julia

Julie and Julia [DVD]

Julie and Julia [Blu-ray]

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Director: Nora Ephron
Writer(s): Nora Ephron (screenplay)
Julie Powell (book)

Starring: Maryl Streep, Amy Adams



Julie and Julia stars actresses Meryl Streep and Amy Adams in two different stories that coincide with one another. Meryl Streep plays Julia Child a woman who's cook book changed the way that Americans eat, and Amy Adams plays Julie Powell a woman who decides to spend an entire year cooking every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook and then blogging about it each day.

I have to say that I was torn on whether or not this was going to be a good movie or not, the preview did not really leave much to the imagination for me. I then went to a late night showing of the movie with my very loving girlfriend who really wanted to see this movie. I really was not expecting to get much out of this movie but I was proven wrong. The movie turned out to be a well served dish.

The performance of Meryl Streep as Julia Child was brilliant to say the least and I would say is one of the first performances I could confidentially say in 2009 deserves consideration for an Oscar nomination. There is still plenty of time and plenty of movies to be arriving before nominations but Meryl Streep I would say will definitely be getting considered at the least.

The movie goes back and forth giving us an insight into the life of Julia Child herself, and then returning remarkably back to Julie Powell and her cooking adventure.

Julia & Julia is not by any means going to be the best movie of 2009, nor will it even come close but the heart of the movie is in the right place and the acting of Meryl Streep put this movie in the category of well worth watching. I would say even to the skeptics who view this as being a movie that will bore them to just reconsider and allow yourself to watch this surprise hit.

Julie & Julia will leave most viewers quite satisfied and some will even be calling for seconds on viewing the movie. I say if you have not yet seen this movie then take the time out to do so, you will not be let down.

My Rating: 75%

No comments: