'Create

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Paranormal Activity Movie Review

Paranormal Activity [Blu-ray]

Paranormal Activity

Director: Oren Peli
Writer : Oren Peli

Starring: Katie Featherston, Micah Sloat.



I just want to say right from the start of this review that I know many of you out there loved this movie for what ever reason and hate me if you must but this movie was horribly disappointing in so many ways. When I originally became aware of this movie it had not even been released in small select theaters yet and already my interest had been peaked. I then saw the quick rise in popularity of this low budget film and anxiously anticipated the release of it in a Saskatoon theater.

After such a long wait and reading rave reviews for this movie, including the solid 85% rating it received on movie review website Rotten Tomatoes I was ready to go and witness what should have been a marvel in film making. I then proceed to the theater to see this movie and found myself highly unimpressed. I know it would be easy to say that I hyped the movie up way too much for myself only to be let down but in this case I feel the movie in general let me down.

I can say that I was impressed by one or two scenes in the movie and that did include the final segment of the movie itself, but the problem is that the movie drags on for so long otherwise. The film generally finds itself repeating itself frequently, same daily conversation, same old effects that I am most certain were more creative when they were used in the movie Poltergeist (1982).

There is one thing I do find rather interesting about this movie though and that is how the people behind it managed to turn a $15,000 movie into a multi-million dollar phenomenon. I figure that the majority of the $15,000 was spent on an internet marketing campaign, and if this is the case then my hat is off to the film makers here for their hard work in getting their movie out to the masses.

I will not recommend this movie to people at all, you will either find yourself liking it because everyone else said they did or else you find yourself bored out of your skull for 98% of the entire movie. This is definitely not a ground breaking by any means, and in no way is it really all that scary, a few cheap scares here and there will not save this movie from a negative review from yours truly.

My Rating: 25%

No comments: