'Create

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Home Alone 1 & 2 Movie Reviews




Home Alone



Director: Chris Columbus

Writer(s): John Hughes

Starring: Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern



I could not review all of these holiday movies and not include the first two installments of the Home Alone series. Starting with the one that took it all by storm. This movie is what turned young Macaulay Culkin (Saved!, Richie Rich, & The Good Son) into the star that he was. The movie was scripted by the late John Hughes (Pretty in Pink) and was something just a little bit different for movie goers everywhere in its time.

The movie also starring Joe Pesci (My Cousin Vinny, Goodfellas, & Lethal Weapon) and Daniel Stern (Whip It, City Slickers, Very Bad Things) took the world by storm when it hit theaters.

The movie itself has its share of plot holes and things that could very easily be questioned, and much is the same for many of the movies that John Hughes has scripted in his career, however I find that despite the plot holes I still find a lot of enjoyment in his movies. Home Alone was a movie that I watched countless amounts of times as a child and am not afraid to say that even at my age now would still watch.

With a guest cameo from Canadian born actor John Candy we were in for a treat indeed.

Home Alone provides many laughs and a story that at no time ever drags on for too long. This movie is definitely one that should not be missed for old fans of the movie and possibly younger audiences that have yet to be exposed to this holiday treasure. A memorable piece of movie history and fun for the entire family this holiday season. Make sure you and your family egt the chance to fall in love with Home Alone all over again.

My Rating:85%



Home Alone 2: Lost In New York



Director: Chris Columbus

Writer(s): John Hughes

Starring: Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern



Here we go again. The McAllister family are going to forget about Kevin one more time, this time though he is going to be lost in New York City. The premise of the movie at a gander seems kind of boring and likely was not about to break any new grounds at all, but as a whole the movie turned out much better then one would have originally expected.

I remember going to see this movie as a kid and was stunned by how they managed to work the scenario of once again being the horrible and neglectful family that forgets about their son.

Home Alone 2 plays out very much like the first one in terms of many of the events that end up occurring, but the laughs are still very much in tact, the fun is still very much non stop, and overall it is hard to dislike this follow up to the original movie.

It would be easy to peg this one down and forget all about it when it comes to the holidays, but I feel Home Alone 2 goes well hand in hand with the original movie and should be appreciated for what it managed to accomplish.

I have to say that this is not going to be my biggest recommendation of holiday movies, in fact I would have to say that I would urge you to watch the first one for sure and at least give this one consideration. I know that this movie still holds a place in my movie going heart and I will never forget the laughs it provided me.

My Rating: 70%






















No comments: