'Create

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Star Trek (2009) Movie Review

Star Trek (2009)




Director: J.J. Abrams

Writer(s): Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman

Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Eric Bana



I have a little bit of a confession I must get off of my chest before I review this movie, I am by no means a Trekkie and nor am I about to become one. This does not mean though that I am not going to talk about my love and appreciation for the J.J Abrams (Cloverfield) re visioning of the Star Trek series.

I have to go out on a limb here and state that even with the threat of a possible backlash thrown at me in the Klingon language that this new Star Trek movie seems to breathe life into what myself and many people may have seen as a quickly dying franchise. Hold on there all you basement dwelling Trek geeks, I am not saying that older Star Trek movies or the series are not interesting or unique, I am simply stating that this movie managed to give a brand new hope to the series itself.

The new Star Trek movie plays out to be a form of a prequel and also a re visioning of the entire Star Trek movie series. I think the best laid plan came from an incredibly well written and thought out script on the parts of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. The story did not once take away from anything that the original Star Trek movies had presented and at the same time it delivered such a surprise turn for the better in the form of this modern day script.

A special cameo in the movie also came as a major turning point and wonderfully plotted twist in the movie. I think that this particular cameo helped to make this movie not only a re visioning but also to make it a homage to the work that was done by the original Star Trek movies.

The special effects never once take away from the plot line itself and leave us with what was one of the finest blockbuster movies of the entire summer. I think that movie studio's should look to this movie as a stepping stone of how to correctly make and deliver a big budget Hollywood summer movie.

The acting was delivered perfectly by the cast and all of them deserve plenty of praise for their work. I applaud everything about this movie and hope that a properly delivered follow movie could come from this. I say do not hesitate when it comes to seeing this movie, go out right now and get your hands on a copy of it.

My Rating:88%

No comments: